When I saw these cookies on Kayle @The Cooking Actress's blog, the cookies called my name, and I knew that I had to make these ASAP, or at least in the coming week. These cookies have a short list of ingredients. I had a jar of Nutella in the pantry, just begging to be used, and well, we always have a jar a peanut butter in the pantry. I didn't use the natural peanut butter, because I haven't gotten good results baking with it. Whatever I have baked in the past with the natural PB, would just turn into a mound of crumbs. Therefore, i just used regular PB. Of course, we have rolled oats, too, since I eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday. Besides the chewy, chocolaty cookies that are low in fat and sugar, the best thing about these cookies to me, is that they are gluten free, no flour.
Through a process of elimination, I have discovered that I have an intolerance to gluten. I just know that I feel better, when I eliminate gluten from my diet. Now, anytime that I feel like I need a little treat, I can have one of these cookies, and feel good about it. I can eat regular oatmeal without any problems, but if you have bigger problems, you should use the gluten free rolled oats. I have yet to take the leap to try the totally gluten free baking with the all of the various gluten free flours used in gluten free baking. I know that I want to try gluten free baking soon with other flours. Do you have any tips for successful gluten free baking?
This recipe yields about 13-16 cookies. I tried making a few smaller ones, because I like small cookies, but even on the parchment paper lined cookie sheets, they spread together. So, if you make these, drop the cookies by a tablespoon, and the larger cookies baked better. These cookies are wonderful bites of chocolaty Nutella, chewy oatmeal, and peanut butter in one cookie. And they are gluten free, low in fat, and sugar. You can make these yummy cookies in about 20 minutes. These would be perfect for your kids to make, when they want a snack. Sometime those kiddos get impatient waiting for the cookies to be made and baked, so they can eat them, but not these. They may even stick around to help clean up, just maybe:) Enjoy!
Flourless Peanut Butter & Nutella Oatmeal Cookies from The Cooking Actress
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy, crunchy, ,homemade, store bought
- 1/2 cup Nutella or other nut spread
- 3/4 cup old fashioned/rolled oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, parchment paper, or Silpat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the egg, brown sugar, milk, peanut butter, and Nutella until smooth.
- Add in oats, baking soda, and salt.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared pan and bake 8-10 minutes, until set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Cool on sheet 10-15 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!