Late August and early September signals the time for your kiddos to go back to school. Here in Illinois, most schools have been in session for a week or two. Now Mothers and Fathers are now scrambling to fill their kiddos lunchboxes with healthy options. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal with Rice Chex Cookies will certainly be a healthier option than Oreos, for example. I wish that I had this recipe, when my kiddos were growing up.
Whew! I know that Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal with Rice Chex Cookies is a long title, but these cookies are so good and deserve each ingredient in them. They are sturdy, with healthy ingredients like peanut butter, oatmeal, and Rice Chex with dark chocolate. These are the perfect cookies for your kiddos lunchbox and are great for dunking in milk. Even adults like them, as my neighbor Tom, says that these are now his favorite cookie. Thanks, Tom for the endorsement! And of course my "Cookie Monster", a.k.a. Scott loves these, too. I'll chime in too, because there are more gluten free ingredients in the cookies, than the flour, and I could eat the whole batch. I always try to give some of the baked goods away, much to the dismay of my Cookie Monster.
What kinds of treats do you put in your kiddos lunchbox? Cookies, granola bars, fruit? This recipe is is very adaptable, and you can swap out various ingredients according to your family preferences or needs. Various nut butters, or even Sunflower butter may be swapped out for the peanut, butter, and if your family doesn't like Dark Chocolate, use milk or semi sweet chips. Different types of cereal can be switched for the Rice Che cereal as well. Whatever ingredients you add, these cookies are amazing, and you and your kiddos, or your neighbors won't be disappointed.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal with Rice Chex Cookies
Inspired by Will Cook for Smiles
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1 cup of dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup rice, wheat, or corn Chex
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with Beat butter and dark brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. It will probably take a couple of minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and beat on lower speed until all incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at the time, beating until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract as well.
- On low speed, sift in the flour, baking soda and salt, mix until all incorporated.
- Add the old fashioned oats and mix it on low speed as well, until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and rice chex
- Scoop the cookies onto a cookie sheet, shape the cookies and bake for 9 minutes.
- Let rest on cookies sheet for several minutes. Remove to rack to cool.