Do these look like cupcakes with orange frosting or Turkey Meatloaf Cups with Sweet Potato Topping? You would be right if you said the later, but they are so cute, I knew that I wanted to make little turkey meatloaf cups, because they are so versatile, good for portion control , lunches, and they freeze well. Also, I could use some of my fresh herbs, before they are all gone. I was inspired to add the sweet potato topping, when I saw Gina @SPCookie Queen'sShepherd's Pie with Ground Turkey and Butternut Squash Topping . It looked so good with the butternut squash on top. I had a butternut squash and sweet potatoes, but I had something else in mind for the butternut squash. Sweet potato topping would be the perfect complement to the turkey meatloaf, like Thanksgiving on a plate. Besides, sweet potatoes have the good carbs. I find myself putting the sweet potatoes in a lot of things these days, soups, salads,and main dishes.
I made the Turkey Meatloaf Cups with Sweet Potato Topping and they were wonderful, of course, I love sweet potatoes. The turkey meatloaf was moist, and flavorful, not dry, and the topping was delish. You can use the Butternut Squash or mashed potatoes in place of the sweet potatoes, if your family doesn't like sweet potatoes. Of course, these meatloaf cups can be made using ground beef. A note, if you do want to freeze some. Before putting the meatloaf cups in the the freezer bags, place meatloaf cups on a plate and freeze, until the sweet potato topping is firm, and then place in the freezer bags. That way the topping won't stick to the freezer bag. I hope that you enjoy these little meatloaf cups, as much as we did. You can have a mini Thanksgiving dinner in no time, compared to the real thing. Enjoy!
Turkey Meatloaf Cups with Sweet Potato Topping
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced,
1Tbsp. fresh Basil, chopped
1Tbsp. fresh, Thyme, chopped
1Tbsp fresh, Rosemary, chopped
1 lb. fresh ground turkey, not less than 90%
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 8 oz can tomato sauce, no salt
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2-3/4 c rolled oats
2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes, rinsed, and poked with a fork
½-3/4 c almond milk or cream
½ Tbsp Smart Balance or butter
1 tsp cinnamon or pepper
Directions- Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Prior to making the meatloaf, roast the sweet potatoes in 400 degrees, oven until tender, about 30 min-40 min, depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. (The topping can be made in advance.) If you are pressed for time, you can cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave on high for about 5-7 min., depending on your microwave.
2. Remove sweet potatoes from jackets and mash with above ingredients, or use your Food processor. Set aside.
1. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray. I got 10 meatloaf cups from 1 lb. of ground turkey.
2. Combine herbs and garlic in a large bowl. Add ground turkey, tomato sauce, and Dijon mustard, and mix until well combined. You can add salt and pepper also, I didn’t.
3. Stir in oatmeal until well mixed, and meatloaf is somewhat firm.
4. Fill each prepared muffin cup 3/4 full of meatloaf mixture.
5. Bake in pre-heated 400 degrees oven for 20 min, Remove from oven and spread the tops of each turkey meatloaf cup with the sweet potato topping
6. Return to oven and continue baking for 10-15 min, or until instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees or the juices run clear. Let stand for 5 min, before serving.