When I first started blogging, I wondered how I would ever have enough recipes and stories to blog about. What I soon discovered is that life happens, and almost every day there is something or someone to blog about. Because we have a blended family, it is very difficult to get everyone together at the same time, so we have many Christmas celebrations.. A few days ago we where having another celebration, so I decided to make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes for another granddaughter, who is now vegan, and lives in the area.
I had just gotten the Crazy About Cupcakes book by Krystina Castella. She has a vegan Chocolate Cupcake recipe, which looked very good, and that is the one that I used. It has applesauce in place of the oil or butter, and vinegar and baking soda to replace the eggs. The recipe also used cocoa powder for the chocolate. You can get vegan sugar at a health food store. This recipe makes a a very moist, chocolaty, cupcake. You should try them, they are good and the are fairly healthy. Here is the recipe. Hope that you are off to a great start in 2011!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes from Crazy about Cupcakes by Krystina Castella
Makes 24 cupcakes
6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
2 1/4 C water
1 Tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 1/2 C all purpose flour
2/3 c cocoa powder
2 C unbleached cane sugar. ½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees oven. Insert cupcake liners in 2 - 12 cup cupcake pans.
2. In a large bowl mix together the applesauce, water, vanilla, and vinegar.
3. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
4. Carefully add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture. Beat well.
5. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake 20-25 min, or until pick inserted in center of cupcake, comes out clean.
6. Cool cupcakes on rack, and frost when cooled completely.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
1 Cup Earth Balance vegan spread, softened, not melted. Available at Trader Joe’s
2C vegan powdered sugar I used regular powdered sugar
2/3 c cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/ c. soy milk
Beat Earth Balance until fluffy. Combine powdered sugar and cocoa in separate bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar mixture and vanilla to Earth Balance. Beat with electric mixer. Add soy milk until desired consistency.