I have seen a lot of mini sized dishes and desserts across the blogosphere, and decided to make my Irish Soda Bread, mini size. Don't they look cute? Now, I did put raisins in them, because we always have. and my husband likes. a little sugar, too, but with a last name of Higgins, we can.
Most Irish Soda bread is just flour, buttermilk, or sour milk, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), and salt, not even an egg or butter, or dried fruit.. The buttermilk or sour milk and the baking soda, react to make the bread rise, without yeast. As with most foods, there are many variations of the bread, ingredients and shapes, however. for more history and recipes here is Peter Mum's Soda Bread-Recipe. Just remember, wear green on St. Patrick's Day and everybody is Irish! I even made a loaf, but I made it too wide, so the X doesn't show. It's very good.
Irish Soda Bread Adapted from Peter Mum's Soda Bread recipe for 1batch of mini breads or one loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins, if desired. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine egg white and buttermilk. Add all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.
3. On a lightly floured surface knead dough 10 to 12 strokes until nearly smooth. the less the dough is handled the more tender the bread or muffins. If handled too much, the bread will be tough. For the minis, spray muffin pan and fill cups 3/4 c full. for the loaf, shape into a 7-inch round loaf
4. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray Place bread dough on baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes in the top to form an X, or spray a muffin pan..
Brush the muffins or bread dough with egg wash, if you want.
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until golden for loaf. . For mini size bake 18-22 min., until skewer inserted in middle, comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings) or 9 muffin sized breads. Slainte