I made this scrumptious dessert for my BFF and her husband, when they came over for dinner recently. These squares were a big hit. and the flavor is amazing with the sweet coconut cream, covered with a sweet dark cherry sauce, on the coconut crust. Even my Hubby liked them. Make these for your family or for your Sweetie. You can feel better about these because they have been made more healthy, and they don't even have to know. Enjoy!
Coconut Cream Squares with Dark Sweet Cherry Sauce Adapted from Taste of Home
Toast coconut first and set aside***
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener or Sugar substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk, I used almond milk
- 1-1/4 cups low fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted***
Dark Cherry Sauce:
- 1T cornstarch
- 1/4 c. Swerve Sweetner or natural sugar substitute
- 1 12 oz bag frozen Dark Sweet Cherries
1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, coconut, and brown sugar. Cut in butter till crumbly. Press in 9” square pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on rack.
2. In saucepan, combine the flour. Swerve, or sugar substitute. Stir in Coconut and Almond milks until smooth. Cook and stir over medium high heat, until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
4. Gently stir in toasted coconut. Pour over crust. Refrigerate until set. Top with Dark Sweet Cherry Sauce Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting, or freeze for one hour for easier cutting. Yield: about16 servings.
***Toasted Coconut To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally Watch carefully, because it will burn quickly. Set aside to cool.
Dark Cherry Sauce:
l linked up my recipe to Brandie@The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck #53
Stop by and say Hi to Brandie!