I wanted to make these cookies, which are fairly healthy, and they turned out so well. I also added dried cranberries and walnuts, to bump the flavors, and of course cinnamon. Can you tell that I'm having fun with the Salted Caramel Drizzle? The drizzle just added a touch of fun. These cookies are all dressed up for a Tea Party or maybe you'll add these to your Christmas Cookie baking list. They are a softer cake like cookie filled with chopped apples, dried cranberries, and walnuts, perfect flavors of Fall or the Holidays.
Now, if you don't want to dress up the cookies, they are perfect for lunch boxes, snacks, or even dessert, and not overly sweet. All the oatmeal, apples, and walnuts add a healthy dose of antioxidants to these cookies. I used AP flour, but you could sub whole wheat for the AP to bump up the nutrition in these cookies. I like to make my cookies smaller, because Scott always wants more than one cookie, my secret to portion control. Whichever way you make these cookies, drizzled or plain, they taste so good. Enjoy!
I have a busy weekend planned, so I might not be around my computer too much, but I'll catch up with you soon. Have a great weekend!
Oatmeal Apple Cookies with Dried Cranberries and Walnuts
Adapted from Quaker Oats
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter
- 1 C firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt (optional)
- 3 C Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 C Dried Cranberries
- 1 C finely chopped apples- I used golden Delicious
- 3/4c c chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs, and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats and chopped apples, dried cranberries and walnuts mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
If you want you can drizzle the cooled cookies with the Salted Caramel Sauce, here.