Over the weekend, we went to my Granddaughter’s High School graduation, and had a wonderful time It’s hard to believe that she is old enough to be graduating from high school, and going on to college. Where did those years go? So many memories of this little girl having tea parties, baking cookies, and playing basketball and running track. She changed into a beautiful young woman, right before my eyes.
The weather was great, saw lots of people, and ate lots of good food. I knew that she was having a big cake, but I wanted to make cupcakes for her, too. I found these cute Smiley face cupcake liners, and cupcake toppers, perfect! She's a smiley face type of girl! She wanted lemon cupcakes, with Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting. No problem. I baked the cupcakes Thursday and frosted them when I got there, for easier transport. They were a hit. When I took the cupcakes out of the oven, I tasted one to check the lemon flavor, and I wanted more of a lemon taste. So, I made a lemon glaze of lemon juice, sugar, and a pat of butter. and then dipped the warm cupcakes into the glaze. Now we got a lot of lemon flavor, yum!
I had to take a picture of her cake. Not your typical graduation cake! It was made by two girls working their way through college by making cakes. Aria designed her own cake.. The Shell logo is their High School Team name. There is a Shell refinery in their town, hence the team name.
Now for the recipe
Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze and Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
Adapted from Crazy About Cupcakes, by Krystina Castella
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemon or ( zest Juice and zest of two lemons)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or lemon concentrate
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating 1 minute after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until completely integrated. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice. . Mix the batter for 30 seconds.
5. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
1/4 C. fresh lemon juice
1/4 C sugar, or add to taste
1 Tbsp melted butter
Bring ingredients to boil over med. heat. Spoon over warm cupcakes. Frost cupcakes when completely cooled.
Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
2 sticks butter
4C powdered sugar
1/4 C milk I used 2% milk
Cream butter in large mixing bowl of electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency. Add Vanilla and frost cupcakes