Now comes the 'Spooky" part. You can use Milano cookies for tombstones and decorate with sayings or names in frosting. I bought Peeps ghosts, instead of whipped topping ghosts, because I new that the cake would be sitting out at the party. I really don't do scary, I don't even watch scary movies, or TV programs,and you would never see me at a haunted house, so I didn't put on the gummy worms, eew! Candy corn and pumpkins complete the graveyard. Did I mention previously that I love candy corn:). Here is the recipe that I adapted from Taste of Home. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- Green and brown decorator's icing or gel
- 9 cream-filled oval vanilla sandwich cookies
- 1 cup whipped topping-I didn't use
- Pumpkin candies and gummy worms, optional I didn't use gummy worms
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a saucepan, combine butter, water and cocoa; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add to flour mixture; beat well. Beat in sour cream and eggs.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine butter, milk and cocoa; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Pour over warm cake.Crush chocolate cookies; sprinkle over frosting while still warm. Cool completely.
- For tombstone, use icing to decorate vanilla cookies with words or faces; place on cake. For ghosts, make mounds of whipped topping; use icing to add eyes and mouths as desired or use Peeps ghosts. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, if you make whipped topping ghosts. Just before serving, add pumpkins and gummy worms if desired. Yield: 16 servings.