I love birthdays (as long as they are not mine). My niece's birthday and my girlfriend's daughter's birthday were a day apart, both adults.. I made chocolate cupcakes, with Trader Joe's organic Raspberry filling with Raspberry Butter Cream frosting to surprise them. They both like chocolate and raspberries, so I couldn't go wrong. I think that anything with raspberries seems elegant to me, a Raspberry Cosmopolitan, anyone? I think that I bake and cook to get the instant satisfaction from people. It's so rewarding to me. I modified Black Forest cupcakes on Cupcake Project.
Ingredients-Makes around 20 cupcakes
- 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 1/2 C white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 jar Trader Joe's organic Raspberry fruit spread
- 1pint of fresh raspberries for decoration
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and extract.
- Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. ( I used a 2" ice cream scoop).
- Bake at 350 F for twenty minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
To fill the cupcakes, use a small paring knife to cut a small hole, about the size of a quarter, out of the top of the cupcake. Place aout 2 tsp. of fruit spread in the hole, and replace the tops . Frost cupcakes with Raspberry Butter Cream frosting and decorate with raspberries.