Thursday, May 20, 2010
Key Lime Cupcakes
Here is the Key Lime Cupcake recipe, which I promised. I modified Stef's recipe from The Cupcake Project. I used Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice. which I found at Meijer Grocery store. I also used the Key Lime Juice for Stef's Lime Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
I also modified the way that I combined the graham cracker batter and the Key Lime filling, keeping the two separate, until I filled the cupcake liners, thanks to Erin Quinn's comments I spooned the graham batter in the in the liner, about 1/2 full, and the spooned about 1 Tbsp. of Key Lime filling on top, and then with a knife swirled the 2 batters together. The swirling of the batter made sure that the cupcake had both flavors, which worked perfectly and the cupcakes were yummy.
Key Lime Cupcake recipe-Makes about 24
1/2 C. butter(room temperature)
1 c. sugar
1 C flour
1 1/2 C. graham cracker crumbs
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/8 t salt (I didn't add)
3 egg yolks
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c Key Lime Juice( I used Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime juice)
1. Beat butter for about 30 seconds until creamed
2. Add sugar and mix for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, being sure to beat for 30 seconds after each egg.
4. Use the food processor or potato masher, or rolling pin to grind the graham cracker crumbs
into tiny crumbs and powder.
5. Sift flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and powder, and salt if used.
6. Add about 1/4 of the mixture to the butter mixture.
7. Add some of the milk.
8. Continue to add the ingredients in a dry-wet method, ending with the dry ingredients.
9. Mix until just combined.
10. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and the key lime juice. Mixture should not be green. Lime juice is not green.
11. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full with graham cracker batter. Spoon about 1 T of key lime filling
on top of graham batter and swirl with a knife. (See above picture)
12. Bake at 350 for 20 min, or until top springs back.
Key Lime Cream frosting recipe
1 8 0z package cream cheese( room temperature)
1/4 C butter (room temperature)
4 C powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 T Key lime juice ( I used Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime juice)
zest of 6 Key limes, depending how may cupcakes you have to decorate.
1. Mix butter and cream cheese.
2. Beat in powdered sugar and Key Lime juice, until desired consistency.
3. Frost cupcakes, and sprinkle Key lime zest over the cupcakes, and refrigerate, until
As you will see in future blogs, Scott and I love the flavor of lime in cooking, baking , and drinks.
Here is a tip for picking a ripe, juicy limes. The best limes have a shiny, smooth peel, but they don't have to be completely green.
One of our upcoming blogs will feature the "French Oven", and a one pot recipe, Coq au Vin.